The Fingernail Test to Determine
To determine the extent of repairability, the fingernail test can be performed by anyone. Run your fingernail along the affected area and hope it doesn’t get snagged. If your fingernail picks up the scratch, the glass break may need to be repaired by a professional. If you are unable to feel the scratch on your windshield, it is likely that the damage has been superficial. You can repair the windshield for a fraction of the cost of replacing the entire windshield.
Scratch vs Crack
A scratch on the windshield doesn’t penetrate the glass as deeply as a crack. It can get worse over time. Driving can become more hazardous if you have scrubbing. Some drivers find scratches annoying and can even make driving more dangerous. It is best to replace windshield wiper blades every other day (see our guide here on the best blades). However, any windshield will get scratches from road debris.
Also Read: BEST WAYS FOR CAR WINDSHIELD
How to remove scratches from windshields?
There are many methods to get rid of windshield scratches. Many car owners will be tempted to try natural remedies or ingredients that they can easily find in the kitchen. Although there is no way to guarantee that these methods will remove windshield scratches completely, it is better to use the scientific method that has been proven to work in labs after many tests. It is worth knowing the DIY options available to remove windshield scratches.
You can either hire a professional to repair your windshield glass or use a DIY kit. You can remove light scratches or reduce their appearance by polishing them. Professionals should use special polishing tools to remove deep scratches. A windshield repair technician will provide a quote depending on the extent of the scratch and the area that needs to be repaired.
Also Read: Ways to Deal With Car Windshield Scratches
Baking soda can be used for many purposes. It can be used to treat heartburn, bad breath, refresh the mouth, whiten teeth, alleviate itchy skins, sunburns, and remove scratches from the windshield.
You need these things to fix a scratched windshield
- Baking soda
- Microfiber cloth that is lint-free
Steps to Use Baking Soda for Scratch Removal
Make a paste using equal amounts of baking soda and water to begin the repair. Use a microfiber cloth to rub the paste onto the affected area. Continue to rub the paste several times. Finally, wipe away any excess paste with water or a dry cloth. Continue this process for several days until you see no more scratches.
Also Read: Best Windshield Repair Tool for Scratches
Acrylic nail polish
Acrylic nail polish can be used for many purposes, just like baking soda. Acrylic nail polish has strong sealing properties that provide protection. The application process is simpler than baking soda, as no mixing is necessary.
- Acrylic nail polish
- Microfiber cloth that is lint-free
Steps to remove glass scratches with acrylic nail polish
Apply the acrylic nail varnish directly to scratches. Let it dry for about a minute before applying. For a shiny finish, wipe off any excess liquids using a microfiber cloth. This could only be used for very minor or superficial scratches.
Also Read: If Scratched Car Windshield Glass is Safe
Cerium oxide, also known as ceric oxide or cerium powder, is an oxidation reaction of cerium, a rare-earth-metal in the form pale yellow-white. Cerium oxide is a commercially important product that can be used in many fields such as hydrogen production and sensing, fuel cell, photocatalysis devices, semiconductor devices, catalysis or adsorption, biomedical uses, and even for medical purposes. Cerium oxide is ideal for removing scratches from glass due to its sealing properties.
Also Read: What is the cost of replacing my windshield?
Here are some things you should do to fix the problem:
- Cerium oxide
- Microfiber damp cloth
Steps to Use Cerium Oxide For Scratch Removal
You will need two parts cerium dioxide and one part lukewarm to fix glass scratch. The amount of water you use can be adjusted to suit your needs. To polish the scratch surface, add more water. Reduce the water to make a creamier paste for more severe window scratch repairs. Use the cerium oxide paste to repair the windshield scratches. Wipe off any excess with a microfiber cloth.
Also Read: HOW DO I REPLACE OR REPAIR MY CAR WINDSHIELD
Glass Scrub Compound
Glass scrub compound products can be used to remove stubborn glass dirt, tough grimes, and grits. These products can also be used to remove light scratches from windshields and automotive glass. These scrub compounds contain leveling substances that smoothen the glass’s surface and remove scratches. It can be used for both cleaning and scratch removal. This only works for very light hairline scratches. You need to be more aggressive if you want deeper cuts.
Also Read: HOW CAR WINDSHIELD REPAIR KEEP YOU SAFE
You will need these things to repair your car’s windshield.
- Products made from glass scrub compound
- Microfiber cloth
- Water spray
Step by step Guide to Using Glass Scrub Compounds to Get Rid Of Glass Scratches
Follow the instructions to ensure a successful repair. You might end up with more scratches than you remove. Clean the area and then apply the compound to a moist, lint-free microfiber towel. After applying the compound to the area, rub the damp cloth gently on the scratched area using circular motions and even pressure. Between rotations, spray the repaired area with distilled water. Otherwise, you will see more fine scratches. This may mean that you need to repeat the process several times until the scratch disappears.
Refreshing toothpaste does more than just clean and whiten your teeth. The toothpaste also acts as a grinding paste, smoothening the entire area and leveling the glass surface. The minty toothpaste is an inexpensive and simple way to remove small scratches from the windshield.
Here are some things you should know about automotive glass scratch repair
- Non-gel toothpaste
- Damp microfiber cloth
- Water spray
Car Windshield Snow Cover Ice Removal Sun Shade Frost Guard Winter Windshield Snow Ice Cover Magnetic Edges Car Windshield Protector for Car Trucks Vans and SUVs Stop Scraping with a Brush or Shovel
- ❉High Quality: Car Windshield Cover the Aluminum foil film on the surface can resistant to high temperature block snow damage;The second layer PP cotton can be well isolated from snow and wind;Fine Composite Cotton can not only be fireproof but also prevent cold air frosting on the glass;The innermost is the soft black non-woven, which soft enough can reduce friction with the car.
- ❉Eight Fixed Places: The Windshield Snow Protector thickened magnets are used, and there are Five of these magnets that hold the front part of the car in place and there are 3 reinforced magnets on the top of the car. There are two ears that clip to the middle of a car door to protect the cover from theft and catching the vehicle more firmly.
- ❉All Seasons&Weather❉ The Car Windshield Snow Protection suitable for any season: protect against animal damage in spring, protect against sunlight and ultraviolet rays in summer, protect against scratches on branches and fruits in autumn, and protect against snow/ice/frost in winter.
- ❉IDEAL SIZE FOR MOST CARS: 62’’x48’’ sized car windshield snow cover is suitable for 99% vehicles.This is the best size windshield snow cover for SUV and cars. The snow cover can be easily folded for storage in your trunk or in rear seats
- ❉Easy Installation❉ Easy and Convenient to Use and Carry, No Tools Required for Installation. Secure with Side Flaps Design, Prevent from Falling Off. And when you come back? Simply pull off the cover and all the snow, frost, ice or leaves.Shake off the snow cover or place it anywhere to dry, then fold it over and place it anywhere.
Car Windshield Sunshade, with Bonus Steering Wheel Sun Shade, 210T Reflective Sunshades Blocks Heat and Sun, Foldable Sun Shield for Car Windshield Keeps Vehicle Cool (Medium 63 x 33.8 inches)
- Better Heat Reduction & Sun Blocking – Big Hippo windshield sun shade is perfectly designed to keep your cars interior cool and comfy, preventing fading and cracking of your dashboard by effectively blocking sunlight UV rays and reducing the temperature inside of vehicle interior, dashboard, seats and other electronic devices.
- Perfect Size for Your Cars – This car window shade is 63″L x 33.8″ W. The sunshade is for car windshield that is no larger than 63″L x 33.8″ W. Our sun shade car windshield is best for SUVS TRUNKS CARS windshields. Measure before purchasing to get the best size for your car windshield.
- Bonus Sun Shade – Big Hippo “Steering Wheel Cover Sunshade” is included in this value package set at no extra cost. The sun shade cover keeps your wheel from being hot and burning your hands. Also, the summer steering wheel cover protects PU material from fading and cracking.
- Compact Design – Big Hippo car window shade comes with a free compact travel pouch. You can fold in seconds without any suction cups or adhesives. After folding, you can take your Car sunshade in your door pocket, behind your sun visor or behind your car seat protector.
- Big Hippo’s sun shade is higher quality than most sunshades on the market – This front windshield sun shades can make you feeling refreshed with a cooler vehicle, and keeping a beautiful interior. Our sun shade for windshield is great accessory for your vehicle!
EcoNour Car Windshield Sunshade | Foldable Reflector Umbrella Sunshade for Cars, Blocks UV Rays Sun Visor Protector Sunshade to Keep Your Vehicle Cool and Damage Free (Medium 54 inches x 29 inches)
- Superior Interior Protection: EcoNour’s durable car windshield umbrella sunshade is made out of a robust polyester with UPF50 that maintains your car interior temperature and protects your car’s interiors from damage, just like new!
- Made-to-Last Endurance: Our Umbrella-type Windshield Sunshade features Titanium Silver Glue Coating with Composite Polyester, which is incredibly significant against the sun heat! The 10-stable toughened steel rods ensure superior longevity of the shades!
- Effortless Installation and Folding: Like an umbrella, our sunshade is easy to install and fold, which can be done in seconds. Thanks to the compact leather storage pouch, the Umbrella can fit into your car door pockets or in the glove box.
- Available in Two Sizes: Unlike other umbrella sunshades that come in only one size, our sunshade is available in two sizes to offer your car impeccable protection from the sun by providing the perfect windshield coverage!
- Size Dimensions: Our Medium-sized Windshield Sunshade measuring 54″ x 29″ will perfectly fit into most cars, sedans, SUVs, and Minivans. Please measure your windshield to enjoy end-to-end coverage of your vehicle.
Camco 45167 SunShield Reflective Door Window Cover | Helps Protect Your RV from Harmful UV Rays and Regulates RV Temperature | 16.25″ (L) x 25.25″ (W)
- Helps control the temperature of your RV
- Hook and loop fasteners allow for easy installation
- Measures “16.25in x 25.25in ; 41.2cm x 64.1cm” and fold for easy storage
- Designed for use on door windows
BDK American Flag Windshield Sunshade for Car Truck & SUV – Folding Car Sun Shade for Front Window, Auto Sun Visor Heat Protection, Car Sunscreen Blocks UV Rays and Keeps Vehicle Cool (58 x 27 Inch)
- DIMENSIONS & FITMENT: 58″ Width x 27″ Height. Universally made for most personal vehicles and fits the windshield using the rear-view mirror as support. The tapered edges allow for a more snug fit.
- COMFORTABLE COOL INTERIOR – On a typical sunny day, avoid the extra heat and keep your interior cool with our top quality Windshield Sunshade Protector. Reduces interior car temperatures by 30-50 degrees. Blocks damaging UV rays; Keeps car cooler on sunny days
- GREAT FOR CAR VAN TRUCK SUV – Increases the lifespan of your vehicle’s dash surface, radio, LCD Screen, GPS Devices and other electronics. Unique design with a lightweight, reinforced frame simplifies application and re-positioning
- 100% UV PROTECTION – Dual-Layer Bubble design for maximum protection for your vehicle’s interior, keeping your seats and steering wheel cool by blocking the sun’s heat and harmful UV radiation rays.
- QUICK AND EASY SETUP / REVERSIBLE- The foldable accordion design allows you to prop the sunshade up with ease and fold-away storage with the hook & loop closure. It can also be reversed and used on both sides with the same protection!